“Things are going well for me here, I have a wonderful home and it’s a great pleasure for me to observe London and the English way of life…”
– Vincent van Gogh to Theo van Gogh
Few artists' letters are as self-revelatory as Vincent van Gogh's, and this selection, spanning his artistic career, sheds light on every facet of the life and work of this complex and tortured man. Engaging candidly and movingly with his religious struggles, his ill-fated search for love, his attacks of mental illness and his relation with his brother Theo, the letters contradict the popular myth of van Gogh as an anti-social madman and a martyr to art, showing instead a man of great emotional and spiritual depths. Above all, they stand as an intense personal narrative of artistic development and a unique account of the process of creation.
The letters are linked by explanatory biographical passages, revealing van Gogh's inner journey as well as the outer facts of his life. This edition also includes the drawings that originally illustrated the letters.
19.6 x 12.7 x 2.5 cm
Due to the operational hours of the house, we ship orders from Monday to Friday. Orders are sent out the next working day via UK Royal Mail.
* For the shipping details of our limited editions, see the specific price in item description.
- Orders under £10 - Royal Mail 2nd Class costs £2.18
- Orders under £50 - Royal Mail 2nd Class costs £3.95
- Orders over £50 - Royal Mail Special Delivery costs £7.50
Europe & rest of world (including USA)
- Orders Royal Mail International Tracked & Signed - shipping price calculated at checkout